If you’re concerned about your sleep and want to make some changes, here are some ideas to help you make peace with your pillow again and feel great when you wake up!
- Be physically active during the day, especially in the morning
- Avoid caffeine, sugar and spicy food for 3-4 hours before bed
- Avoid alcohol or limit your intake
- Eat a healthy diet, based on plants and whole foods
- Remove electronic devices from the bedroom and do not use within 2 hours of bedtime
- Avoid excessive brain stimulation shortly before bed
- Read before bed or create your own night-time routine, e.g. stretching for 5 minutes with the lights dimmed.
- Stick to regular sleeping and waking patterns.
- Avoid going to bed after 11pm.
- Aim for 8 hours sleep per night
- Drink a calming herbal tea such as chamomile before bed
- Use aromatherapy drops such as lavender oil on your pillow
- Pray or meditate before bed
- Remove pets from the bedroom at night
- If you are disturbed by a partner snoring, discuss the issue together and look into a way to get this treated
- If you have baby, try to establish a daily and nightly routine, which will help make feeding times more predictable. You may wish to take naps during the day.
- If you have young children and they disturb you at night, set some rules around when they can come in to the bedroom
If you have put all these tips into practice and are still having difficulties with your sleep, please contact the clinic and we will be happy to help.