Our nutritionist Natalie Brady has created a crunchy granola that is gluten-free, grain free, nut free and refined sugar free. It’s delicious in so many ways, serve it with some rice or almond milk, top it with fruit, yoghurt, or enjoy it on top of smoothies (her favourite way) or you can eat it on it’s own as a yummy and crunchy snack.
- 2 cups pumpkin seeds
- 2 cups sunflower seeds
- 1 cup sesame seeds
- 3 cups coconut flakes
- 1 cup currants
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 1/2 cup brown rice malt syrup (could use maple syrup or honey)
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees celsius. Add pumpkin and sunflower seeds into a food processor and pulse for 10-15 seconds until coarsely chopped, leaving some seeds whole. Pour this mixture along with the sesame seeds, coconut flakes, currants, cinnamon and sea salt into a large bowl and set to one side.
2. Add coconut oil and brown rice malt syrup together in a small saucepan. Heat over medium heat until coconut oil is melted. Mix to combine.
3. Pour the coconut and syrup mixture over the seed mixture and stir to combine well!
4. Pour the granola mixture evenly onto a prepared baking sheet. Pop it into the oven and bake for 40-45 minutes until golden brown, tossing every 15-20 minutes.
5. Once it’s to your desired crunchiness (I sometimes like to leave mine for 50-55 minutes), let the granola cool completely and then gently break the granola up. Store in an airtight container for a 3-4 weeks (if it last’s that long!).